Monday, March 25, 2013

How to Replicate the "Julia Stiles Cardigan Head Wrap" Look from 'Save the Last Dance'

There's a scene in Save the Last Dance where Kerry Washington's industrious character takes Julia Stiles from corny to fly just by tying a GAP cardigan sweater around her head--it's cinema's quickest and most successful makeover. 
A month ago, I decided to stop straightening my hair (at least for a little while). The decision is both a response to the sorry state of my coif (split ends, dryness, breakage, etc.) and Justin Timberlake's recent renunciation of his curly hair--while JT may have abandoned his brethren and sisthren for the carefree life of the straight-haired, I stand in solidarity with the curly-haired. For me, one consequence of this lifestyle change is that styling my hair has become pretty time consuming. Looking for a fast, easy way to deal with this, I remembered Save the Last Dance and the cardigan head wrap. After practicing the technique a couple of times, I finally got it down. Here's a simple "how to" guide.


Drape a cardigan over your head. (I used a thin sweater but if it's cold outside you might want one made of thicker material--lambswool, mohair, et al.). Swirl the the loose fabric around your head.


And voilá! Not only is this a simple solution to your hair woes, you'll now be able to blend in with the crowd at the urban dance club of your choice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 comments:

girluntitled said...

you nailed it!

Shannon said...

I think I actually prefer your wrap. It has more character.

Jill said...

Awesome! Is this going to turn into a fashion blog?

Ashton (King) Wright said...

Ah the woes of natural curls. Next time mine don't cooperate, I'll try this.

Barbara said...

Your shirt rules :)

natalie. said...

I'm so glad you're writing again. And I'm also so glad you've stepped over to the curly side. Natural hair has a bit of a learning curve, but it's actually way more ~carefree in the end than straight. You can get it wet! But I digress...

My real comment is that I always thought Julia Stiles' headwrap looked super cool, but my 7th grade friends insisted it was embarassing that it matched her shirt. I see you are color coordinating as well so I take that to mean I was right all along and it is cool!

Yomi Adegoke said...

Great blog post, I love this bloody film. And since its (almost) a 90's movie, I would realllly love you to check out my latest blog post on the much awaited return of the best era ever! xxx

http://sittingwitty.blogspot.co.uk

P said...

I LOVE Save the Last Dance. My favourite scene is the one where they dance to You Can Do It.

MaddyGrace said...

100% nailed it!