Sunday, December 18, 2011

Vintage Amber: The AT&T commercial that bore absolutely no resemblance to life as I knew it in the mid to late 90s

This was one of my favorite commercials when I was in high school because it depicted my romantic ideal as well as my technological ideal. 
As I've mentioned before, (non homeless/non elderly) guys didn't show any interest in me until I was in my 20s, so the back and forth between Larisa Oleynik and her romeo--with his perfect '90s-boy center-part--was totally foreign and almost unfathomable to me. I didn't get the internet or a halfway decent computer until I was a sophomore in high school, so all of the technology in this commercial seemed very futuristic and confusing. Though I now have a boyfriend and a pretty sweet MacBook, I still have some trouble relating to/understanding this commercial.
So maybe things are different when you're younger (or super cute), but as an adult, if I were to send a guy an "I miss you soooo much" email right after seeing him not only would he not email me back but he would never talk to me again. Also, this font is soooo large. Is this what all emails looked like in the '90s? 

I like that their font choice correlates to their gender. Hers is cursivey and girly while his is bold and masculine. I'm glad that we've made so much progress when it comes to fonts and gender roles.  
I don't think I could pull this off. Wait, let me try.
I was wrong. Nailed it.

 Is this a scanner? A fax machine? Do fax machines work like scanners? I actually think this commercial would be very erotic if they were just faxing each other all night long.  
What is this face? I think that he thought that he was going to get a naked pic. I do remember hearing that email in the olden days was primarily used for sending naked pics.
Did computer screens used to go black right after you sent an email (by pressing the "send email" key)? 
So this is what guys like. I'm starting to understand why I failed so horribly with the opposite sex. 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 comments:

Megs said...

The internet and dating were both big diappointments when I realized they weren't anything like that commercial. I think that was more disappointing than the whole Santa thing. Even if Santa wasn't real, I still got presents at least.

P.S. - Totally nailed the picture. Awesome job being awesome.

Shannon said...

Love it.

I remember my first AIM screen name was "Cutie SLAM".

My initial are SLAM, but in hindsight I sounded like an easy teenage lay.

Oh 90's technology.

chukichi said...

I love Alex Mack and this was one of my FAVORITE commercials! I didn't even have a computer until I was in college, but I was sure that once I had one, I'd have a cheesy exchange like this.

I am still waiting!

owlinalarkworld said...

All I really want is a man who will cut and paste my head onto classy cherub artwork.
This add knows its demographic.

eatthissoup said...

I am laughing so hard I just SNORTED. Like, for real.

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

Hahaha, oh man... so much laughter.

The Backseat Debutante said...

amber you are hilarious! ;-) tara
www.confessionsofabackseatdebutante.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

Oh, you totally nailed that picture.

I definitely don't remember the 90's being like this for me either. I think one time a guy IM'd me to see if my friend liked him. Whatever.

Lille said...

Oh my, this was absolutely hilarious!
You totally nailed that pose, haha.

Lee said...

Some At&T ad exec was certainly aware of My So-Called Life...the very beginning peering through the car window, the hair-ear tuck was so Angela..

owlinalarkworld said...

I feel the need to comment again and say how wonderful this post was.