Thursday, November 10, 2011

What the Kids Are Watching: Jessie

With all of my student loan problems under control, right now, my biggest concern isn't that I'll get thrown into some Dickensian debtor's prison/that I'll have the sort of horrible credit score that'll prevent me from purchasing the robo-hacienda style condo of my dreams, it's that someone will walk in on me while I'm watching Jessie--this inane Disney Channel show loosely based on the child procurement practices of the Jolie-Pitts.

Here's what the Disney Channel website has to say about the show and the characters (I've included a few annotations):










The only thing more disconcerting than being inexplicably compelled to watch Jessie is that while visiting the show's website I was actually excited about the prospect of playing "hide and seek with the Ross kids."

On one level, watching Jessie is just one more manifestation of my struggle to stay young--I really became aware of my age when I read this comment on YouTube:


What the hell is this person talking about? If you know what any of these things are or understand the use of the interrobang (!?) at the end of the sentence I am super jealous of you and your youth.


On another level, I think we're all genetically predisposed to watching shows about rich kids who are being cared for by working class people. Jessie was created by the same woman who created Charles in Charge AND the Nanny!?


Oh, and can any young people reading this please explain how Wizards of Waverly Place backfired?

11 comments:

owlinalarkworld said...

As far as I am concerned, everything after Lizzie and Raven backfired.

Shelly said...

I have no idea how Wizards backfired and you are right about Lizzie and Raven although, I think those shows weren't all that great either. I liked the 90's Disney. Whoever wrote the so-called sentence on youtube just maybe goes to show that grammar isn't really taught in school anymore. Happy blogging!

Munk said...

I so up with your blogplaces, you so bean!?

Stephanie said...

I don't know anything about Disney shows, but Charles in Charge was the BEST!

Aggy said...

You need to go to youtube and watch an episode of Phinnaes and Ferb. Right now. Now, I say!

You won't regret it. What other show features a secret spy duck-billed platypus and little British boy with green hair? And an evil scientist named Doofenschmirtz?

Here, here's a good one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G0PVbEEUI0

Helen said...

I admit I had never heard of Jessie until today but I may have chair-danced slightly to the theme song. I also admit to feeling like I might begin to watch it in secret. And I want the little girl's oink crown thing!

Reve said...

I really, really hope someone was thinking along your lines when Ravi's lizard was named. !?!?!?!!!

Tavi said...

oh god that comment and your following statement made me laugh. i like the commenter's username though, it looks like it must be the kind of account parents set up to share with the whole fam so they can keep tabs on their kids' fiery youtube debates.

Lorraine said...

I had no idea that Jessie existed in this world. This made me feel about 85. Then I pressed play on the opening credits. After the second "hey Jessie!" I was okay with being 85.

ANSWER THE FUCKING LADY JESSIE. SHE KEEPS CALLING HEY, HEY, HEY.

Gah.

Lorraine

Unknown said...

Because the siblings on Wizards of Waverly Place have so much chemistry, I'm pretty sure there are at least 15 different flowers in their attic.

Also, it's been on for four years, so I guess Disney teens like that sort of thing...

Calvin Brock said...

My clients usually tell me they'd rather be charged for how they drive rather than on something like a "credit score". We will see how well this discount is received by the general public. I think it is getting back to the basics of what insurance was meant to be rated on. credit reports from all three bureaus