Saturday, January 29, 2011

Teen Heartthrob in Decline: Devon Sawa

Devon Sawa. Canadian. Blond. Adequate actor. Blessed with the face of an angel...or so it seemed, many, many moons ago.  I'm not saying that he lost his looks but he definitely misplaced them. 
Role: Junior Floyd--quarterback for the ragtag, underdog Little Giants pee-wee football team and object of Becky "the Icebox" O'Shea's affection.
I'm America's leading Little Giants scholar. Unlike anyone else in the history of the world, I watched this movie 50 thousand times when I was 11. Seriously. I'd finish the video tape, rewind it, and watch it again. I wish I could attribute this behavior to insatiable Devon Sawa fanaticism because that would be normal and understandable and socially acceptable. But I really just wanted to marry Rick Moranis, who played the Little Giants' coach/all-around sexy man. 
Even though Sawa wasn't my type--meaning he wasn't a diminutive, bespectacled man, older than my mother--I could understand the appeal. (1) He'd mastered the ubiquitous 90s-center-hair part (2) he had a big mouth--good for Frenching and (3) he had that whole fresh-scrubbed, all-American vibe going on--which is kind of amazing, considering he was Canadian. Basically, what I'm trying to say is, I wouldn't have tacked a photo of him up on my bedroom wall but I also wouldn't have written any strongly-worded letters to BOP or Tiger Beat demanding fewer Devon Sawa centerfolds.


Role: Non-dead incarnation of Casper "the friendly ghost" who shows up in the last couple of minutes of the movie to smooch Christina Ricci and blow everyone's mind with his ethereal, pre-teen hotness.
Casper secured Devon Sawa's place in the annals of heartthrob-dom. He was so transcendently cute that I probably wouldn't have even noticed Rick Moranis, had Rick Moranis been in this movie. Was Rick Moranis in this movie?
When you watch the five minutes in which Devon appears, you'll notice what seems to be bright, artificial lighting, illuminating him. What most people don't know is that this isn't artificial lighting at all! It is, in fact, Devon Sawa's natural glow, emanating from his body, enveloping him like the heavenly creature that he is.
With Casper, he'd officially achieved dreamboat status. And I officially need to stop talking about it because I'm officially creeping myself out.


Role: I don't even know. Never saw it. But I do recall thousands of photo spreads about the movie in the teeny bopper magazines that I was trying to ween myself off of. In the end, Wild America was just an excuse to put Jonathan Taylor Thomas and Devon Sawa in the same movie--the teeny bopper equivalent of the Robert DeNiro-Al Pacino pairing in Heat.
Although he'd made significant strides in his 90s-center-hair part, he'd begun to age--a definite teen heartthrob no-no. 
Don't get me wrong, he was still cute and if he'd gone to my high school, I'm sure I would have had a low-key crush on him. But I don't know. Like, I could maybe see him on the top right corner of Big Bopper magazine at this point but his Tiger Beat cover days were behind him for sure. 


Role: High school student who has a premonition about a plane explosion/the reason why I always check the latch on the tray table in front of me when flying.
Uh...
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away, for realz. Eh, I think the David Schwimmer-inspired, gelled-up hairdo has a lot to do with the decline. Anyway, Devon would've been about 22 here and when I was 22 I probably looked a lot like him--except browner and female-er. So, I'm not gonna hate or anything. But this guy used to be Casper (!) and it sort of breaks my heart to see the transformation. To me, Devon Sawa's face in Final Destination is emblematic of how insanely depressing aging is and proof of why you should never show anyone photos of yourself when you were 11--you were totally hotter back then and you don't want people making any comparisons. 

For men, though, something kind of magical can happen when they reach their 30s. I call this the "Jason Bateman Anomaly." Just think about Jason Bateman in Teen Wolf Too. Now, think about Jason circa Arrested Development...way cuter, right? I found this recent photo of Devon Sawa: 
He's no Rick Moranis but he has this Daniel Craig thing going on, and I think it's working for him.

26 comments:

Allison said...

Oh Devon - he was all over those Teen magazines when I was growing up! He was cute.

You're right, he's not bad now.

Chelsey V said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsey V said...

Is it weird that I thought he was cute when he was totally tripping balls in SLC Punk?

Link text

Catherine said...

When I think of how much time I spent fantasizing about Casper's human form! And that one line, "Can I keep you?" SO perfectly sweet.

But yeah, he did not age well for awhile....seems like he's making some progress on the hottie-meter though!

beanditch said...

Oh Devon Sawa... I had half of my bedroom walls dedicated to him and the other half dedicated to JTT. ♥
My favorite Sawa incarnation was in Now and Then. Don't even try to tell me you didn't pause the VHS when he was naked on that rope swing.

RAY J said...

ow ow! He got hot again!

I remember how cute he was in Casper and while I was more of a JTT girl, my childhood best friend LOVED him and Andrew Keegan!

I saw him in that Idle Hands movie not too long ago and yeah... the stupid stoner role... wasn't a good one for him! But wowzer! He looks pretty hot again now!


PS - LOVE your new header/banner on the blog!!!!

Lorelai said...

beanditch speaks the truth -- nekkid Devon Sawa in Now and Then totally made my childhood years what they were. He's kissing Christina Ricci in that one, too.

I saw Wild America way too many times to be normal, but I hardly remember anything about it. Except that at one point, there's bears. Bears and snakes. And Bedlam playing in the background...

dolmadez said...

WHA HAPPENED?

Love it.

RMb said...

maybe i'm just really strange, but i totally thought his hottest phase was during wild america. i think it was the hair. and jtt never did anything for me.
however, i did watch tom & huck because i had a crush on brad renfro (may he rest). great post!

The Shanner of Attention said...

you seriously crack me up. I had no clue that the ugly Final Destination boy was the Casper hottie. And the fact that I didn't know that makes me sad. I have so much to learn from you.

RenRexx said...

He was so cute in Casper- but i was very disappointed in Final Destination. LIke- what happened to his teeth?? did he skip over braces or what?

Chantale said...

Oooh Amber, Amber, Amber. You are bloody hilarious. The 'Wha' happened reference alone secures you a spot in our all-time favie peeps category..

Couldn't agree more.. Sawa had it, then lost it, now seems to have it again. We were tingly for Devon in Casper. Major pre-teen hormones goin' on watching him in that, not knowing at the time what to do with our pee-pees. Ya know.

Barbara said...

I used to have the biggest crushes on him and JTT. My bedroom walls were plastered with pictures.

Amiee said...

Agreed about the Now and Then hotness too.
Also I thought I was the only one who remembered Little Giants! I freakin loved that movie and would be second behind you in rewatches.

Angie said...

Have to kick in my two cents about Wild America. Freakin' fantastic movie. I was lusty for all three brothers in this movie, as I was at just the right age to physically enjoy a 14 year old, a 17 year old and a 23 year old. That's my guess anyway as to their real-life ages at the time of this movie. Too lazy to google.

Anyways, forget the Tiger Beat statuses of the stars, and watch Wild America. It's actually a really great movie.

That Kind of Girl said...

YES! I too obsessively watched "Little Giants" with my sister -- she had a crush on Devon Sawa, and I had a crush on Rick Moranis! I still do! She makes fun of me for it every time I make her rewatch Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

Let's be bff.

Tizz said...

Baha yes! So right. Not gonna lie, I totally also loved "Now & Then" - he got to make out with Christina Ricci again.
And if you haven't seen it, "Slackers" is probably one of the most hilarious movies EVER and he totally redeemed himself in my eyes in that one.

JoAnne Ferrie said...

For some folks, puberty hits hard!!
this Devon dude's main problem is his skin really.. he's either spent too much time in the rays, ate a load of shite for a long time or was unfortunately subjected to a bout of acne!!
It doesn't always pay to be a cute kid!

Roxanne and Lorraine said...

Little Giants is by far my favoritest movie on this list. I'm much more of a RickGirl myself, even though that last picture of acne-cure and/or make-up Devon is pretty nice looking. Good job, kid.

Lor

Angie said...

I just remembered Idle Hands. He was still in hot phase at that point. Loved that movie! Also a little known supporting actor named Jack Noseworthy. I was obsessed with him...

SP said...

I had a dream I made out with the Casper version of Devon. It was lovely, although the whole ghost thing made him really cold.

Jen said...

the trifecta of Devon Sawa, Brad Renfro and Andrew Keegan made my underage panties moist. Ew. I just said moist. My least favorite word in the English language. But you get the gist right?

I never really understood the JTT thing. I think I was a little too old, because he always seemed small and troll-like to me.

But seriously...Devon in Now & Then. Yowza.

(PS: off topic, but the word verification is meastab, but all I read was MEAT STAB. Hmm)

Jen said...

OMG, Angie - Jack Noseworthy!! I thought he was so hot, but what an unfortunate last name.

Do you remember the brief, but kinda cool MTV sci-fi show called Dead at 21? He starred in that, but I feel like it only lasted about 6 episodes. ::sigh::

chicken said...

You missed Now and Then! Albeit retarded, I still watched it religiously. In fact, I watched it again the other day (Maybe 12 years have passed) and I still know it by heart!

Kylee said...

that is insane, hes so hot?! why isnt he still acting.

PS you totally forgot Now and Then!

"We owe you Wormers and we always pay our debts"

thatissophat said...

Anyone following him on twitter? Because he tweets quite a lot. He's so sweet.