Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Taking Fan Art to the Next Level

There's a lot of symbolism going on in these pictures, so I'll tell you what I was thinking about and what my intentions were as I created each piece. But of course, you're more than welcome to interpret what you see in any way that you'd like.


I call this "Pop-tarts plus Nike Swoosh equals 4 Eva." It's all about the fact that I really like pop-tarts and think that Nike swooshes are cool. 


This piece is called "Sega Game Gear with Ninja Turtle Arms." When I was a kid, I used to play with my Game Gear all the time. I also played with my ninja turtles all the time. I wish the two things could have been combined. So, this picture is all about hopes and dreams.


Here we have "Alternate Space Jam Poster in which the Moon is Dunking While Wearing Moon Shoes." Space Jam should have been about space--planets and pulsars and stuff should have been playing basketball. It would've been more educational that way. And then I think that if the moon were playing basketball, it would probably be wearing moon shoes because those things were super sweet.


This is "Mexican Pizza Rainbow Pot of Gold." Mexican Pizzas are so good, man. (Though, now that I think about it, "Mexican Pizza" may be a little racist. Like, I'm sure that some Taco Bell CEO approved the name and that the "Mexican Pizza" isn't a traditional dish.) Anyway, I'm in my Mexican-Pizza-Rainbow-Pot-of-Gold phase. It's my current obsession as an artist. I have fifteen more pictures like this in my sketchbook. 


This one is called "Honeycomb Hideout." Here you'll notice that I'm swimming in Honeycomb cereal. I'm really happy about this and don't seem to notice that a spoon is hovering above me and that I'm about to be eaten. The interesting thing--and something that isn't necessarily apparent from the picture--is that I'm also holding the spoon. So, I'm about to eat myself.


I call this piece "Recorder Surrounded by Flames." I think that recorders are pretty badass. One time I saw this street musician playing "Big Rock Candy Mountain" on the recorder and when he was finished, he set the recorder on fire. You know, kind of like Jimi Hendrix. Obviously that didn't actually happen. But wouldn't it have been cool if it did?


This is just a memorial piece I did in honor of the Ecto Cooler.


Another memorial piece. This time, for Squeeze-Its, which no longer exist.


If you want me to draw a picture for you, and really, how could you not after seeing all of these, I'll totally do it. For free! I'm dead serious.* Just send me an email and make sure that whatever you request isn't too hard to draw.






*may or may not be dead serious.

26 comments:

Alison said...

Wait. Squeeze Its no longer exist?!

Crap.

Tina K said...

I also had no idea that squeeze its no longer exist. I've been thinking about them a lot lately (for real--some lip balm that I have smells like blue squeeze its).

Leonnie said...

seriously, the squeeze-it's thing just broke my heart. This drawing will serve to remind me of my beloved beverage tubes

Boonie S said...

Very creative. Thanks for this.

Have a nice day, Boonie

Simon said...

Here's some fridge brilliance about Space Jam: People are all, why is Maarvin the Martian refereeing the basketball match? And then you're like, whoa! He's both a Looney Tune and an Alien, he's, like, totally unbiased!

So there's that. I, too, share your dream (right?) of swimming in cereal, except it'd be Golden Grahams, and I wouldn't be eating myself, unless, y'know, I'd been watching too many David Lynch movies and just lost it.

(ahem)

nikki said...

Oh man. Ecto Cooler was so fucking badass. Every time someone brings up Ghostbusters, I start talking about Ecto Cooler in the most loving terms. My husband decided if we could bring back one treat from our childhood, he'd bring back Gatorgum and I'd bring back Ecto Cooler. It was delish.

Also, do you think you can draw Dr. Manhattan in a kayak? It's such a weird request, but my former boss looks just like a non-blue Dr. Manhattan and he was way in to kayaking. Some people at work were trying to draw it, but none of us had an ounce of talent.

Georgina Dollface said...

I'd totally forgotten about Squeeze-it! I'm trying to remember what the point of the plastic bottle was. Oh right, there was no point. RIP (in a landfill somewhere) Squeeze-it! - G

Amber said...

Wow, really had no idea that Sqeeze-its no longer exist. Sad day.

Love the drawings :)

Megs said...

Ecto-Cooler!

Also, I would be swimming in Fruity Pebbles or maybe Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries. Both cereals seriously designed to mutilate your mouth when eaten without milk, but that's how much I love them.

soft nonsense said...

Oh god, I've been waiting for this day for months...but now that I have the opportunity to choose the subject matter of one of your sketches, I draw a blank. Shiza.

A request shall be made.

Sada said...

There's a "Bring Back Ecto Cooler" group on Facebook, but it only has 51 members and its leader is under the impression that Slimer's name is "Slimmer," so PROCEED WITH CAUTION.

Nikki's comment reminded me that I once had a coworker who looked just like Yukon Cornelius, and he was really into square dancing. Can you draw all of our former coworkers enjoying leisure activities?

Hipstercrite said...

ECTO-COOLER!
I still dream about that stuff all the time.
:'(
I used to make weird "serums" with that stuff as the base.
It held magic powers, don't ya know?

TbR said...

"I'm also holding the spoon. So, I'm about to eat myself." - a psychiatrist would have a field day.

I had my first pop tart in ten years two weeks ago. As I screamed in agony, my tongue on fire, I vowed never to eat one again. I just don't have the patience.

Barbara said...

Man, I used to love Ecto Cooler.

Christina In Wonderland said...

I love your version of "Space Jam" better. And I think your recorder surrounded by fire piece would make an excellent cover for the new "Recorder Hero" video game. Lol

And when did Squeeze-Its stop being manufactured? My world just crashed around me.

Emily said...

SPACE JAM! And sega. Geek wins.

Plum said...

Oh man, Ecto Cooler and Squeeze-Its. How many sugar-crash tantrums have those caused? R.I.P. My Loves

Oli said...

I'm new to your blog and your drawings had me laughing... until the last one. I just looked it up and Squeeze Its been gone since 2001. No wonder I could never find them... This is worse than when they stopped making Surge.

Nicki said...

I am really, really depressed about this squeeze-it situation.

MC said...

I love the honeycombs one. :)

Verification word: dyngo, which would be a kickass name for a faux 80's hair band.

picklethis said...

You put a Ninja Turtle on anything, and I will buy it.

Fear Street said...

Amber Warhol.

These are cool.

I wish you would draw a Care Bear dressed as Rambo. Why? I have no idea...

Danaconda said...

The Squeeze-It picture reminded me of Mondo. I fucking loved that shit.

If you could draw a picture of the old-school Ghostbusters firehouse toy that would be cool. I miss playing with that thing.

Jen said...

Holy crap! Your blog is fantastic!

Jen said...

I want a picture, but I can't find your email! It's like a hide-and-seek game from hell! (well sort of)

Kelly L said...

I shit you not, my sister and I were discussing Squeeze-its this VERY AFTERNOON and were sad they no longer existed. This was after buying an economy-sized box of Gushers at Sam's Club. Because we're grownups.

Anyway this art is marvelous and I hope you get a gallery exhibit soon. That would be badass.