Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Arts & Crap: So You Love "Say Anything" and Want to be Lloyd Dobler

Say Anything is an action adventure movie, not unlike The Lord of the Rings, in which Lloyd Dobler, The Key Master, boldly attempts to win the heart of Diane Court, an overachiever with an obnoxious voice whose dad is that old guy from Frasier. 


In the movie's most celebrated scene, Lloyd, played by the adorable John Cusack, stands outside of Diane's bedroom window with a jam box hoisted above his head as Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" blares (pissing off local Phil Collins devotees). Though it isn't necessarily the best of Gabriel's post-Genesis oeuvre, the song is special to Lloyd and Diane because it was playing on the radio the first time they had teenage car sex (not sex with the car, but with each other while in the car). 


A lot of people watch this iconic scene and think, "Gee, I wish someone would do something like that for me." Other people watch it and think, "Where can I get a jam box like that in the 21st century?" If you fall into that second group, the answer to your question is "somewhere on the Internet," but if you're poor like me and can't afford expensive Internet goods, then I have the perfect craft project for you.


What You'll Need:
  • Cardboard, tons of it. (For the frame of the radio I used an empty Pepsi Max 12-pack box, another slightly larger box, and some other piece of cardboard I had in my cardboard storage locker, which holds cardboard and is entirely constructed of cardboard.)
  • Silver Duct Tape
  • Black Tissue Paper
  • Scissors
  • 2 Small Paper Plates
  • Colorful Card Stock (Optional)
  • Scotch Tape/Glue (Optional)
Instructions:
1. I imagine you've seen a radio before, so you know the basic structure. I cut the Pepsi Max box in half (by the way, don't drink Pepsi Max *barf*), dipped into my cardboard reserve, cut out two squares, and covered the exposed holes. These two halves will be the speaker boxes. Then I cut the back out of the larger box, trimmed down the sides so that the width was equal to the width of the Pepsi box, and taped the back of the box back onto the front of it. This will be the center console thingy where all the thingies are.


2. Cover everything in duct tape. It'll take a while, so you should probably watch a DVD while you're doing this. I chose The Descent 2, which wasn't as good as the original.


3. Trim your paper plates down, so they'll fit onto your speaker boxes.

4. Cover the paper plates in black tissue paper.

5. Tape the plates onto the speaker boxes.

6. The rest is just detailing. You can do whatever you want here. And, no, I'm not just saying that because I'm too lazy to go through a step by step description(<---lie).

Tape the three pieces together, go stand outside some chick's/guy's window, and proudly hold your masterpiece above your head. If doing that doesn't win over the object of your affection then she/he is probably a jerk anyway and doesn't deserve your love. 


Now, let's move on to a wearable craft project. 


The trench coat has become synonymous with Lloyd Dobler but if you've seen Say Anything as many times as I have then you know that Mr. Dobler loves The Clash and wears their band t-shirt EVERY DAY. 


Some might chalk this up to lazy costuming but I think that it actually adds to the character--he only owns one shirt, which emphasizes the Lloyd-Diane class disparity. 

Vintage band t-shirts are pricey, so I made my own, using a plain white undershirt and a red fabric marker (the ink is permanent and, according to the box, the t-shirt can be washed without the ink bleeding through). The actual letters aren't as bright as they are here, I think that the color in the picture has to do with lighting or something, I don't know. 

It's okay if you mess up. In my opinion, the more bootleg the thing looks, the better. In fact, that's my motto.


--------
Bonus Features


Embarrassing Say Anything related anecdote: When I was in 12th grade, I went on this retreat with my class. At the end of the week we had to write these affirmations on little scraps of paper where we'd tell our friends or teachers or retreat leaders how much they meant to us or how dope we thought they were, etc. The notes could be anonymous but by the end of the retreat we'd all become so close and comfortable with each other that no one hid their identity...or their true feelings. I had a crush on this one dude and wrote him an affirmation that was basically just the lyrics to "In Your Eyes." I ended the note by saying that I wanted to "touch the light, the heat" I saw in his eyes. Ugh. Luckily, I was sort of a funny girl in high school so I think he thought the whole thing was a joke.  


Video:
video

31 comments:

nikki said...

Lloyd Dobbler - the world's cutest creepy stalker.

Ally said...

How cool are you for this post? I love it. I was so bummed, I wrote the most awesome article on John Cusack, was even paid for it and this stupid website refused to run it for whatever reason :(

Jerry said...

That is great. Cool Jambox!

Chicken said...

There is so much time and effort put into the jambox, that I think you might really be Lloyd.

Amber said...

nikki: Lloyd Dobler is a total stalker but I think he gives hope to stalkers the world over. He did get the girl in the end.

Ally: I wonder why they didn't run the article. Perhaps alleged nice guy John Cusack is kind of a diva and they have to be very careful about what they publish about him. At least you got paid, though.

Jerry: Thank you kindly, sir.

Chicken: You found me out.

Melissa said...

I'm not sure what being someone's sledgehammer entails but I'm fairly sure it's suggestive and I feel violated.

Also I left you an award type thing on my blog because of your brilliance. I don't know if you are into that kind of thing, but it's there waiting for you nonetheless!

Megs said...

I think the real question most of us have is not how to be Lloyd, but how to be Diane. I mean, you're totally right, most obnoxious voice ever, and yet still a guy will stand in the street with his boombox and his Peter Gabriel and his pushed up sleeves for her LUUUUUUV.

My voice is probably only 20% as obnoxious as hers, yet I have had 0% of guys do that kind of thing for me...

Amber said...

Melissa: Thank you! And you have one of the best profile pics in the business!

Megs: "and yet still a guy will stand in the street with his boombox and his Peter Gabriel and his pushed up sleeves for her LUUUUUUV." Hahaha! The appeal of Diane Court is something that has always baffled me. I actually think that his best friend, played by Lili Taylor, was way cuter/awesomer and wondered why the two of them didn't date. She was emotionally unstable and clearly he had some creepy obsession issues. They would have been the perfect match.

MC said...

That was awesome.

Heather Taylor said...

The irony is that I could spend all day making that boom box and then stand outside of the guy I like's window and he'd probably sleep through the whole thing. Or I could go to my ex's dorm room window, but he'd probably sleep through it too. The nice thing about him is that if he woke up, he'd get the movie reference. I doubt any other guy I know would.
WE DID THE SAME RETREAT IN 12TH GRADE. Mine was only for 2 days and our leader kept talking about how she used to be called "Puff" like the magic dragon in high school because apparently she saw the dragon once in real life and described it to our group in vivid detail that sounded like she had been toking some bigtime reefer. In any case, we also had to write notes and 2 guys in my group wrote in their notes that they wanted to go out with me and thought I was so interesting. I was the quiet bookworm girl in high school who didn't date anyone until we graduated and was completely embarrassed by these notes. I still have them.

Amiee said...

I love Lili Taylor too, that would have been cute.

Powdered Toast Man said...

You should go into business making those boom boxes and selling them on ebay. I'll take 2.

epitaphforaheart said...

I would completely make a cardboard boom box (or steal one from my parents' house. YES, I KNOW. THEY STILL HAVE ONE, THE FREAKS OF TIME) and stand outside your window and play some music for you.

I promise i'm not always this creepy.

That. And your blog is fantastic.
x

Georgina said...

John Cusack is adorable isn't he! I loved him in High Fidelity - basically the adult version of Say Anything. - G

Sammy V said...

Great film and great post!

Oh, and love the motto, by the way.

Amber said...

MC: You're awesome.

Heather: I can't even begin to tell you how excited I would've been if someone would've written a note like that to me, even if I wasn't into them. I think I still have all of my notes too.

Amiee: I know, Lili Taylor is the coolest.

Powdered Toast Man: I wish that I could sell these things on ebay. I could really uses some burrito money.

Risha: Thank you very much. And I enjoy creepiness.

Georgina: High Fidelity really is like the sequel to this movie. Even down to the casting...Joan Cusack and Lili Taylor are in both.

Angie said...

You put so much work into your stuff. It's awesome!

Amber said...

Sammy: Thanks, man. You rock.

Angie: I know, I can't believe how much time I devote to this weird stuff. Thanks for thinking that's awesome and not lame.

Megs said...

I'm always for the quirky best friend in those type of situations. 16 Candles? Totally should have gone with Farmer Ted. Pretty in Pink? Ducky! Say Anything? Lili Taylor.

Why do the quirky best friends never get the love? They are WAY more interesting, which is much more important than hot.

Or maybe I only believe that because I am the interesting one, not the hot one.

Ashley R said...

What an awesome, creative post! Can you believe I've never seen this movie? Everyone tells me I should and I want to, I just never get around to it. But of course I know this scene, and I think it'd be incredibly cute if someone did this for me.

Also, looove your anecdote. Embarrassing, but one of those things we can look back on (years and years later, at least) and laugh!

Kara said...

I love your arts and crafts posts. :) Lloyd Dobler is sadly, creepily adorable.

And Pepsi Max is definitely barf-worthy. Gag me with a spoon!

Sadako said...

Nikki--my first thought, too. If anyone else did this, it would be so creepy but it's John Cusack, dammit.

Missed Periods said...

Wow- that was awesome! And, I agree: the more bootleg looking the better.

MC said...

You've won the Pageant of the Transmundane this week.

soft nonsense said...

SSSSOOOOO fuck blogger. For not telling me that this win existed until now.

Also, I love how only about 20 seconds of this video is you actually saying something. The rest? Glorious ballads and awkward silence. Awesome.

Also also, nice new header.

Amber said...

Ashley: Go see this movie immediately!

Megs: Truth be told, I'm kind of pro-Jake Ryan. Even if the only reason why he decided to go after Sam in sixteen candles was because he liked that she was always staring at him, which is totally weird and narcissistic. But of course Ducky was the obvious choice in pretty in pink. I am also the quirky/not-hot/interesting friend and truly believe that anyone who choses a hot/uninteresting person over their quirky lovesick BFF will eventually regret it. There's no Pretty in Pink 2 because in that movie Blaine would end up dumping Andie/cheating on her with some big-toothed rich chick he met his freshman year at Yale.

Kara: Thanks! And Pepsi Max is so disgusting plus it goes flat almost immediately after you open the can.

Missed Periods: Thank you. Making things look "nice" or "presentable" is really overrated.

MC: That's so rad! Thank you!

Soft nonsense: Glorious ballads and awkward silence...I think that's the perfect description of what's going on in my mind, like, all the time. And thanks for noticing the header. I don't think anyone can even fathom how difficult it is to stay on a skateboard while trying to keep a ninja turtle upright long enough to take a picture of the whole thing.

Sada said...

"I serenaded her with a cardboard boom box, and she gave me a pen."

Might I point out that you could easily stick an iPod—queued up to the car sex anthem of your choice—in one of the Pepsi Max boxes? But then you'd have to get really close to your Diane Court for her to hear it. Possibly close enough to touch the light, the heat you see in her eyes.

michelle said...

hahahah i need a stalker like lloyd dobbler in my life

ps - there's an award for you over at my blog cause i think you're kinda awesome. plus you're a bit of a nerd, which makes you even more awesome :)

Jonathon Moxon said...

Amber, this is just too fucking good. You're too good for your own good.

Margaret said...

You MUST CHILL.

I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS!

This post ruled. I'm telling everyone I've ever met, ever.

Blogger said...

Do you drink Coca-Cola or Pepsi?
PARTICIPATE IN THE POLL and you could win a prepaid VISA gift card!