Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Time I Saw Bono

I finished college a quarter ahead of schedule but, not wanting to go back home to California, decided to stay in Evanston and nerd it up for an extraneous three months. Although I knew that the courses I took would impact my final, cumulative GPA, I was pathologically apathetic--once, on a lark, I went to Medieval Times instead of writing a paper on a book that I hadn’t even bought. This isn’t out of the ordinary for most college students, especially so close to graduation, but for me it was unprecedented. I’d been puritanically devoted to the almighty "A" since I was eleven years old.

It’s important for me to lay all of this out for you because the day I saw Bono, I was supposed to be in class. So the whole thing was fortuitous for a couple of different reasons.

I don’t know why I decided to ditch on that particular day but I do know that (1) school was going to be over in a couple of weeks, (2) my apathy was morphing into non-specific melancholy, and (3) I was finally starting to understand something that I’m sure everyone else had realized during Freshman year: no one really notices or cares if you don’t show up for class.

The Time I Saw Bono

I woke up that morning feeling kind of blah, and decided to take the "El" into Chicago...

What’s the moral of this story? Well, I think it’s probably best to defer to Abe Froman, The Sausage King of Chicago.

9 comments:

The Vegetable Assassin said...

I once saw Bono too! Only it was in a nightmare. His head was the size of a hot air balloon. I was quite freaked out. He didn't talk so much in the nightmare though. That's something. :)

Suzy said...

Bono's blue sunglasses are made by celebrity designer PreTenTious.

Some things that we think define us really just make us look stupid.

nikki said...

Great post!

Sadako said...

Abe Froman! I love that guy. For some reason I was randomly thinking of that scene. "Snotty." "SNOTTY?" "Snooty..." I always wanted to pull a Ferris/Abe Froman when I was younger. I still do.

Angie said...

hahaha lovin' it. Bueller's vest was the shit.

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

Awesome! I have never seen Bono. But I have seen Ferris Bueller's Day off, so that's something I guess.

Sally-Sal said...

Anytime anyone mentions Bono, I automatically think of that song he sang. "Lemon".

That song gives me the creeps like someone's given me the bad touch. Which is the same way I feel about Bono.

Jay Amabile said...

you are awesome. great post as usual.

RAY J said...

lol... i LOVE your images!!