Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Return Plus Some Thoughts on The Breakfast Club

Uh...hi. Remember me? I used to be this person who blogged but then I wasn't that person for a little while but now, hopefully, I'm that person again. What have I been doing? Stuff, I guess. More specifically, though, I've been sick off an on for the past couple of months. Sometimes it was just a cold. Other times it was worse. I hadn't thrown up since 2006 but this year--which is only 3 months old--I've thrown up 3 times. On one occasion, I noticed that there were, like, 10 pinto beans in my throw up, which was weird because I KNOW I chewed the beans before I swallowed them. (I'm sure you wanted to read that.) When I wasn't sick, I was writing things. If you want, you can check out some of the stuff I've done for Rookie. But if you don't want to, that's your prerogative (in the words of B. Brown and later B. Spears), and it won't change the way I feel about you. Other things that've happened:

I ate a 5lb. burrito. (And yeah, one of times that I threw up was after eating it. But that hasn't changed my views on burritos. I remain pro-burrito.)

I SAW JGL! JGL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AAAHHH!

Louis C.K. became my fave. Have you watched his show? If you haven't, you need to. It's way more entertaining than this blog. As a matter of fact, you should be watching Louie instead of reading whatever the hell it is that I'm writing. 

I watched every episode of Parks and Recreation on Netflix. It took, like, three weeks. But I did it. I DID IT! I'd never watched a single episode before that, if you can believe it. Oh, and do you know who's on that show sometimes? LOUIS C.K.!! The plot thickens!

"The plot thickens" became my catchphrase. "Meow" became my cat's catchphrase.
I saw this van by my house. The back of it was JACKED UP. I think someone really wanted those cookies.

Justin Bieber brought these girls some Proactiv.

Also, I re-watched The Breakfast Club for the millionth time. Do you remember this scene?

video
(I had to record it with my iPhone because it somehow doesn't exist on YouTube in an embeddable form. Don't sue me, Universal Studios. I love you.) First, and most importantly, it shows that Emilio Estevez is the best dancer in the history of life. 

Second, is this what's supposed to happen when you smoke weed? Third, Emilio shatters glass by screaming and NO ONE FREAKS OUT. 
No one even claps or says, "man, that was kind of awesome" or, "wow, he really hates foreign languages." So...did that even happen? Like, within the reality of the movie, did it actually occur? Is it a metaphor for marijuana and how it gives you the ability to shatter glass?? And how is it that only the glass on the door breaks? How did this scene make the final cut when it makes no sense? 

On a related note, what's with Anthony Michael Hall's voice here: 

And then here in Weird Science:
Does it make anyone else feel really uncomfortable?



That's it for now but I'm planning to post more regularly. Thanks to everyone who's still reading and sorry to everyone who was wondering where I was (this cool lady in particular). Have a nice day and here's to hoping that all of your plots thicken in an enjoyable way.

11 comments:

Lenore said...

jealous! I love joseph

Jack said...

I've read so much about "Parks and Recreation" lately. I should probably watch it.

Áine said...

Oddly, I've never really thought much about that Breakfast Club scene. Especially seeing as, yes, it seems to defy all preconceptions of weed smoking. You have given me food for thought, thank you.

P said...

I love "Louie" - it's a great show.

MC said...

I think the voice makes more sense in the context of Weird Science, but I can totally see how if they made that movie today, that would have never flown.

Fear Street said...

It warms the cockles of my freeze-dried heart to see that you're back.

I'm sorry for your pinto bean vomit :(

Your cat is kick ass.

Erin likes it hot. said...

You need to tell your cat that I have dibs on that phrase. That burrito is so impressive. Maybe next thanksgiving I'll make one of those instead..
Glad you're back--rookie seems pretty kool. :D

Lorraine said...

Just looking at that burrito made me throw up in my mouth. Just a little, though.

My plot is thickening right now, girl.

Glad you're okay.
Glad you're back.

Lor

noseinanovel said...

So glad you're back! I missed your posts.

Sorry you've been sick and had to break a nice vomit-free streak.

P.S. Your cat is adorbs.

Megs said...

Yeah, I want Parks and Rec to get rid of the Ben guy and bring back Louis CK as the love interest for Amy Poehler. Because Louis CK is awesome.

marshb97 said...

This is so amazing, I just watched breakfast club for the 1st time a couple nights ago! Yeah I cried, same time thinking what manipulative BS, sob sob. I had a couple thoughts at the end though, a couple things that should be updated.

Number one, when the kid says he has a gun in his locker, I thought it meant he wanted to shoot everybody, or at least his shop teacher. Turns out they all think it meant he was suicidal. Needs to be updated for post-Columbine times, like maybe he had a suicide note.

Number 2, they should have left off the little-girl party dress and headband for Ally Sheedy's makeover. I hate those headbands with big blobby flowers they put on little girl babies to make them look like cute lil flappers, but instead they look like they've recently had brain surgery. They should have kept the hair simple and elegant and off her face. The whole idea dates the movie. Back then it was such a big deal that she would even be considered attractive they had to go overboard with the femininity. It would be cooler now if she had a pile of her zines spilling out of her backpack. Or a book on Amazon!