Monday, December 21, 2009

The Great Christmas Specialpaloozorama : Part IV



As a kid I watched TaleSpin daily but I can’t remember if I actually enjoyed the experience or if I just suffered through it because this odd, Jungle Book offshoot aired before Darkwing Duck or some other infinitely cooler cartoon. After sitting through an episode as an adult, I pray that I didn’t like it because if I did, it would completely shatter the image I have of myself as this totally shrewd and perspicacious little eight-year-old.


I hate to spoil anyone’s fond memories of this show, but TaleSpin is thoroughly blah.



This being said, one thing that I did appreciate about "A Jolly Molly Christmas," was its rejection of that tedious Scroogey villain plot. Unfortunately, the episode heartily embraces the all-I-want-for-Christmas-is-snow trope.
First, for those who can’t remember what TaleSpin is about, here’s the basic gist: Mowgli-less Baloo lives in the harbor-town of Cape Suzette (pun) where he is a sea-pilot, delivering stuff to people (or I guess, animals) and thwarting Air Pirates. He works for this chick bear named Rebecca who has a daughter, Molly. There’s this little orphan bear named Kit Cloudkicker who kicks clouds and stuff and a mechanic named Wildcat, who looks a lot like Thomas Haden Church when he was on Wings. Louie, a king no more, owns the bar that Baloo frequents and remains the jive-talking, borderline racist caricature he was in The Jungle Book.




"A Jolly Molly Christmas" finds everyone bending over backward to sustain the illusion of Santa Clause for six-year-old Molly (another Christmas special trope) by trying to give her the snow she so desires. Since Cape Suzette is, I imagine, somewhere in the West Indies, snow is an impossibility but, what do you know, the episode closes with substantial snowfall. That’s the magic of Christmas for ya (or perhaps the precursor to some global climate catastrophe). During the improbable finale, all of the classic I-can't-believe-it's-snowing moments are represented:

Snow lands on someone’s nose...

 
snow lands in someone’s hand (or paw, as it were)...
snow lands on someone’s tongue...


 someone spins around in the snow...



 someone holds a snow-globe mid snowfall...Whaaa?



Seeing that sort of redeemed this Christmas special for me.

5 comments:

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

I don't even remember this one making it over to the other side of the Atlantic!

Either that or it was so forgettable that I've, er, forgotten it. :)

Sadako said...

I loved Tale Spin! oh the memories!!!

rogue evolent said...

Me too!! Tale Spin was fantastic. This was a fun post Amber, thanks.
best,
r/e

RenRexx said...

wow- you have a great memory- or maybe mine just sucks completely.

No One Reads The Copy said...

What about DuckTales! With Hewey, Dewey and Louie!

PS - don't get creeped out. I'm just going through all your blog posts. I really, really love it.

You're funny and you're bringing back so many memories. If I didn't read that you had a boyfriend, I'd try to set you up with my brother.